I’ve been in an exploratory mode lately, trying out some techniques for future KM Creation Celebration ideas. Lucky for my kiddos, they get to be the Guinea pigs:)
We tried a fun tie die technique and salt painting. The processes were fun, end products may have been #pinterestfails but it’s the quality time and learning that matter. Plus, how can you go wrong creating art? I really don’t see the down side but I’m biased of course.
Watch the videos, part 1 & 2 for the full details! Here is what we learned (in a nutshell):
TIE DIE TECHNIQUE:
- Crumple paper (or extra coffee filters in this case)
- Use pens or watercolor to blot color randomly on the crumpled balls
- Let dry then open for a cool tie die effect!
- You can use the finished product for banners, craft flowers, paper to write on, etc.
- Black paper for a more dramatic effect, poster board maybe (construction paper tended to warp and crinkle when drying)
- Apply Elmer’s glue however you like and sprinkle salt (iodized, not kosher or sea salt lol)
- Once glue dries and you shake off extra salt, paint on salt with watercolor. The effect is pretty cool and you end up with a great textured colorful piece!
VIDEO PART 1:
VIDEO PART 2:
Also check out the shaving crème technique a couple weeks ago! That was especially fun:)